Sunday, June 6, 2010

Finishing Well

Ever have one of those days when your shortcomings seem to hang over you? Of course, it's never just one thing. For me at least, they have to present themselves in groups. I am glad for these days though. If God didn't graciously make me aware of my weaknesses, I couldn't overcome them!

I get a few emails from different ministries. Sometimes I read them, sometimes I don't. Depends on how many minutes I have and how many emails I want left to sort through later. I read this one though. It's all about finishing a task.

How often do I feel overwhelmed by the clutter in my home? (that would be...A LOT) So, then I put everything else on hold til I get some semblance of order. Then, I'm behind other things and I still FEEL cluttered! How much better would it be if I simply finished the task I start? (or in some cases, started the task to begin with) In the post the author shares about a half painted wall...I have a half painted room...two of them. This part here really got me;
...when I settle for "good enough" consistently, I learn to live with mediocrity. And accepting mediocrity is far from where God wants me to be. You see, finishing what we start is more than a good organizational or home management skill. It's also a spiritual discipline.
So, I intend to start finishing the task I start; and begin those pesky tasks that need completing. I want to give my family a home that makes them feel cozy. I may need to wait til we finish up school to paint those rooms, but I can start now in the everyday things.



1 comment: