Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Love Story

Our story began in the fall of '96. We both moved to Oregon to attend school. Now, the unofficial motto of that school was the infamous "A ring by spring or your money back!" I wanted NOTHING to do with that. Really, neither did he. Nothing against marriage, but someday, later...much later.
Sometime during those first few days my roommate and I went to the Rose Gardens with a small group of people she knew from back home that were also attending school. Aaron was there that night, but I don't remember him. (He says he remembers me) Because my roommate knew him, I did 'meet' Aaron again.
We were in choir together. Not really knowing anyone, we talked a little the first few class periods. One day, being the genuinely nice guy he is, he complimented me on my dress. I have to admit it freaked me out a little. I wasn't used to guys giving me compliments out of the blue. I certainly didn't want him to be attracted to me! Besides choir, we saw each other on and off in the cafe on campus. We would have short conversations here and there. I remember him asking me about my albinism and my vision . He seemed honestly interested in learning about them.
In November we went on choir tour. At some point we ended up sitting together on the bus. We started talking. We talked about a lot of things. The one thing that struck me the most was how he talked about his family. He had a sincere respect and love for his family. One that you don't see too much anymore. We sat together the rest of that tour and talked and talked some more.
At this point I remember being really uncertain. There were definitely some feelings beginning to take shape, but I wasn't convinced I was ready for them. It took about a month for me to realize this was a guy I didn't want to lose. Here was this incredibly intelligent, gentle, honest, caring man that suddenly I didn't think I could live without.
Why was I so smitten? Well, I just mentioned his intelligence. When it comes to theology and philosophy he has in his mind what I couldn't even imagine trying to BEGIN to process. But, he still asked for, and considered my insight. HE considered ME intelligent. Next was how he loved his family, as I also mentioned before. The way he cared for them spoke largely of his character. Then, it was how he saw my albinism and my blindness. Before, everyone has just seen them as my 'quirks'. I can't get a tan, so I just get to be healthy and white. I have this white-blond hair that you just can't miss (although I do color it now for fun), and my right eye would turn in (something surgery took care of a few years ago). Aaron knew me before the hair color and the surgery. He didn't see these things as quirks, he saw them as beautiful, because that's who I was. In this, God gave me an incredible gift. I had always said to myself that the man I would marry would see all of me as beautiful. Aaron did, and does. The clincher for me though, was his love for our God. His faith was real and strong. He desired to live his life as God desired.
Well, five months later we were engaged. One year and one month after that we were married. We began a great adventure. I really don't know if there is anything better to call it. As we seek God in the aspects of our lives, He leads us down paths I never thought I would travel. Each one is a new strand God weaves into the others as we live out His design for us.
My husband, Aaron, is my good and perfect gift.

2 comments:

  1. What a happy love story! When was my boss he treated everyone like they were the best important person in the world. You are both the sweetest ppl I know and its so happy to see a good marriag. Whenever I get married I want you to coach me and Aaron can coach my husband K?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) It's all about constantly yielding to God; then He allows you to yield to each other.

    ReplyDelete